The global networking organisation, World Travel Market (WTM) Africa, will host its inaugural Travel and Tourism Awards in Cape Town next year. WTM Africa made the announcement at last week’s Satsa conference hosted at the Wild Coast Sun in KwaZulu Natal.
The inaugural awards will be judged by renowned independent experts from across the world. Nominations will open at WTM Africa 2019 and the first set of winners will be announced in 2020. The awards ceremony will take place from April 10-12.
The awards will cover the following categories:
- Best National Tourism Board Campaign/DMO Campaign;
- Best Regional/City Campaign;
- Most innovative use of technology within a destination;
- Best agency for tourism marketing;
- Best PR Campaign;
- Best Digital Campaign in Tourism;
- Best Digital Influencer in the industry;
- Best Destination for Wellness;
- Best Destination for Responsible Tourism;
- Best Destination for Adventure Tourism;
- Best Destination for Food Tourism; and
- Best Destination for LGBT Tourism.
Reed Exhibitions (the events company behind the awards) MD, Carol Weaving, says the impetus behind the awards was to consolidate various industry rewards. “Having spent many years in the travel and tourism industry, it has become apparent that we do not have one set of awards that covers its various sectors,” she says.
“We believe that one set of prestigious awards will further reward the efforts of tourism and travel businesses that go the extra mile.”
Companies that want to enter the awards can do so at WTM Africa’s website. Businesses are also encouraged to register their interest on the website.